Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dedicated to Petrus Comestor

Cooking is not just a nutritional necessity, something that has to be done in order to eat and so to survive; it is a large part of my life. I spend far too much time in the kitchen, time that would probably be better spent on the other part of my life, writing a Ph. D. thesis on medieval theology. This topic is perhaps less suited to general dissemination than food, not least because it's mostly a good cure for insomnia, but I hope that occasionally some of it will emerge on to this blog. But completing a chunk of work recently left me with a little more (!) time to spend on kitchen-related activities that I've been pondering for a while. The excitement at achieving some of these and the occasional weird result has resulted in me telling anyone who will listen about my latest success/disaster. The first purpose of this blog, therefore, is to save the poor people who would have to hear (probably several times) about what I've recently been up to in the kitchen. The second is so that I can record what worked and what did not, with the intention of producing slightly more successes and fewer disasters. Even if I remain a disastor, I may keep my friends this way...

No comments: